Game Day Texas Chili
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound ground bison or ground dark turkey
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 12-ounce bottle of beer
- 1 14 1/2-ounce can diced tomatoes
- ½ cup of Eight O'Clock® Original, brewed
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon chile sauce
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- Half a serrano or other hot pepper, seeded and finely chopped, or to taste
- 1 ½ tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 2 15-ounce cans kidney beans
- 1 15-ounce can cannellini or other white beans
- Place a Dutch oven or other large pot over medium heat. Add the oil and heat until shimmering. Add the meat and sauté until browned, then transfer to a plate.
- Add the onion to the pot and stir for 1 minute. Take two large sips from the beer, and pour the rest into the pot. Stir in the tomatoes, coffee and tomato paste.
- Add the brown sugar, chile sauce, cocoa powder, hot pepper, cumin, coriander, cayenne, salt and kidney beans. Return the meat to the pot. Reduce heat to low and simmer, partly covered, for 1 hour.
- Add the white beans to the pot and simmer over very low heat, partly covered and stirring occasionally, for 1 to 2 more hours. (Longer cooking improves the flavor.) Adjust salt and cayenne pepper as needed and serve.